1 Platform for Survival items
17. To reduce radiation exposure all states shall shift immediately to efficient electricity from renewable energy*1recognizing that phasing out all nuclear power plants, including subsidies, and uranium mining may be an outcome in the future.
18. All states shall prioritize the long-term control and safe storage of radioactive wastes, with public review.
- Adelman, Michelle. 2018. “Can Fukushima Happen Here?” NOW Magazine, February 5, 2018. https://nowtoronto.com/news/ontario-nuclear-emergency-evacuation-plans/.
- Belyakov, Alex. 2015. “From Chernobyl to Fukushima: An Interdisciplinary Framework for Managing and Communicating Food Security Risks after Nuclear Plant Accidents.” Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 5 (3): 404–17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13412-015-0284-2.
- Chirgwin, Carlos. 2018. Uranium mining fuels a deadly and dying industry, Juan Carlos Chirgwin in Counterpoint, 22 July 2018.
- De Clerq, Geert. 2016. Desperate uranium miners switch to survival mode despite nuclear rebound, Geert De Clercq for Reuters, Oct. 3, 2016
- Edwards, Gordon. 2013. “Can We Be Free of Nuclear Weapons and Still Have Nuclear Power?” Video of lecture presented at the Confronting a Nuclear Age lecture series, University College, University of Toronto, March 7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdwrEucO2UA.
- Edwards, Gordon. 2018. “Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL).” http://tosavetheworld.ca/canadian-nuclear-laboratories-cnl/.
- Edwards, Gordon. 2018. Transcript of Gordon Edwards’ Testimony on Pickering Nuclear Licence Extension. http://www.ccnr.org/GE_PNGS_Transcript_2018.pdf.
- Environmental Working Group. 2018. “170 Million Americans Drink Radioactive Tap Water.” News site. EcoWatch. January 11, 2018. https://www.ecowatch.com/radioactive-tap-water-2524534065.html.
- Riffkin, Rebecca. 2016. “For First Time, Majority in U.S. Oppose Nuclear Energy.” News. Gallup News. March 18, 2016. http://news.gallup.com/poll/190064/first-time-majority-oppose-nuclear-energy.aspx.
- United Nations. 2015. “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030.” Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan: Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. http://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/43291.
Each of the proposals above has its own page on the Project Save the World wiki. Our intention is that people will volunteer to use the wiki for an essay on how the proposal can be put into action, what changes may need to be introduced, and so on.
If you are interested in being a contributor, contact us at email@example.com.
4 Papers and articles
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL)
The State of Nuclear Energy
Please contact the page administrator if you have research material (published or unpublished) which you wish to submit.