1 Platform for Survival items
7. All states shall swiftly adopt maximally stringent efficiency standards for cars, trucks, ships, and aircraft.
8. The International Code Council1The International Code Council is an association with over 64,000 members. It develops model codes and standards used in the design, build and compliance process to construct safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient structures. Some countries use its standards instead of developing their own. About 40 percent of emissions come from existing buildings, which could be 80% more efficient. Currently, design is done with consideration for payback by cost from utility savings. However, higher carbon fuels cost less right now than renewable energy, so buildings are being built to use fossil fuels instead of lower carbon fuel sources. They are not designed to be ready to use renewable energy sources. shall adopt stringent performance-based building codes.
9. All states shall adopt norms and procedures for the production, recovery, and recycling of materials.
10. All states shall accelerate R&D of HVDC2Research and Development of High voltage direct current electric grids electric grids, energy storage, and Demand System Management.
11. All states shall incorporate environmental considerations in developing national dietary food guides.
12. All states shall negotiate to preserve and protect forests and enhance carbon sinks.
- Avery, John Scales. 2017. “The Climate Emergency: Two Time Scales.” http://www.fredsakademiet.dk/library/climate.pdf.
- Beckwith, Paul. 2017. “Worst-Case Global Warming Predictions Are the Most Accurate, Say Climate Experts.” The Independent, December 6, 2017, online edition. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-temperature-rise-climate-change-end-century-science-a8095591.html.
- Cameron, Mark and David McLaughlin. Oct 10, 2018. “Carbon dividends could save carbon pricing.” The Globe and Mail Metro (Ontario Edition)
- Flounders, Sara. 2010. “The Impact of Militarism on Climate Change Must No Longer Be Ignored.” Canadians for Action on Climate Change. October 4, 2010. https://canadinaclimateaction.wordpress.com.
- Global Issues Project. 2007. “Wasan Action Framework.” http://scienceforpeace.ca/file_download/55/wasanactionframeworkfinal.pdf.
- Hawken, Paul and Tom Steyer, eds. 2017. Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming. New York: Penguin.
- Kostigen, Thomas M. 2015. “Extreme Weather to Cause Extreme Food Shortages, Task Force Finds.” USA Today, August 22, 2015. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/21/extreme-weather-cause-extreme-food-shortages-task-force-finds/32104685/.
- Loria, Kevin. 2017. “Even a ‘Limited’ Nuclear War Could Trigger Cruel Nuclear Winters and Global Famine.” Business Insider, August 10, 2017. http://www.businessinsider.com/nuclear-explosions-earth-atmosphere-temperature-2017-8.
- Lorincz, Tamara. 2018. “We Must Demilitarize to Decarbonize.” Space Alert!, no. 38 (January): 4. http://www.space4peace.org/newsletter/Space%20Alert%2036.pdf.
- Lorincz, Tamara. 2014. “Demilitarization for Deep Decarbonization: Reducing Militarism and Military Expenditures to Invest in the UN Green Climate Fund and to Create Low-Carbon Economies and Resilient Communities.” International Peace Bureau. http://www.ipb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Green_Booklet_working_paper_17.09.2014.pdf.
- McBean, Gordon. 2018. “Future Earth: Building Climate and Disaster Resilience.” Slideshow presented at the Coastal Cities at Risk in the Philippines: Investing in Climate and Disaster Resilience, Manila, Philippines, January 24. https://ccar2.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/1-future-earth-building-climate-and-disaster-resilience-dr-gordon-mcbean.pdf.
- Ponzio, Richard and William Durch. 2014. “Confronting the Crisis of Global Governance.” Report of the Commission on Global Security, Justice & Governance. Stimson Organization. https://www.stimson.org/content/report-commission-global-security-justice-governance.
- Smith, Gar. 2017. “The Pentagon’s Carbon Bootprint.” Athena21.Org. February 22, 2017. https://www.athena21.org/in-english/187-the-pentagon-s-carbon-bootprint.
- Suzuki, David, Harrington, Ian. 2018. “We Ignore Urgent Global Warnings at Our Peril.” David Suzuki Foundation. January 4, 2018. https://davidsuzuki.org/story/ignore-urgent-global-warnings-peril/.
- United Nations. 2018. “Lazy Person’s Guide to Saving the World.” Section of the United Nations website; also available in French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Standard Chinese. Sustainable Development Goals. 2018. http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/takeaction/.
- Zens, Alexander. 2008. External Intervention in Foreign Exchange Markets: Emphasis on the Tobin Tax. Saarbrücken, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller.
- “Declaration of the 8th World Science Forum on Science for Peace.” 2017. Dead Sea, Jordan: World Science Forum. https://worldscienceforum.org/contents/declaration-of-world-science-forum-2017-110045.
- “The Bonn Challenge.” n.d. Accessed March 6, 2018. http://www.bonnchallenge.org/.
Each of the proposals above has its own page on the Project Save the World wiki. Our intention is that people will volunteer to use the wiki for an essay on how the proposal can be put into action, what changes may need to be introduced, and so on.
If you are interested in being a contributor, contact us at email@example.com.
4 Papers and articles
Please contact the page administrator if you have research material (published or unpublished) which you wish to submit.