1 Platform for Survival items
1. All states owning or hosting nuclear weapons shall immediately de-alert them and commit to no-first-use.
2. All states, including those in NATO, shall sign, ratify, and within 10 years comply with the TPNW.1Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
3. All states shall reduce their militaries and not plan war for “national security.”
4. All states shall develop a UN Emergency Peace Service to protect civilians and respond to crises.
5. All states shall ratify and fully implement the Arms Trade Treaty.
6. UN Convention on CCW and all states shall prohibit developing or deploying lethal autonomous weapons.2The “Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons” is the body that can negotiate rules banning “killer robots.”
- War in space is increasingly possible. That would be terrible for everyone, Theresa Hitchens in the National Post, Nov. 17, 2017
- What a North Korea Hydrogen Bomb would do to the Pacific Ocean and Space Stations, Nsikan Akpan for PBS Newshour, Sept. 30, 2017
- Blair, Bruce with Jessica Slight and Emma Claire Foley. Sept. 2018 “The End of Nuclear Warfighting: Moving to a Deterrence-Only Posture: An alternative U.S. nuclear posture review.”Washington, D.C: Princeton University Global Zero.
- Coalition for the ICC. 2017. “Historic Activation of Jurisdiction of Crime of Aggression at International Criminal Court.” World Beyond War. December 15, 2017. worldbeyondwar.org/historic-activation-jurisdiction-crime-aggression-international-criminal-court/.
- Collins, Robin. Oct 10, 2018. “NATO: Canada In or out?” Canadian Pugwash Group Research Roundtable. https://pugwashgroup.ca/nato-canada-in-or-out/.
- Cost of War: Summary of Findings http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/papers/summary
- Flounders, Sara. 2010. “The Impact of Militarism on Climate Change Must No Longer Be Ignored.” Canadians for Action on Climate Change. October 4, 2010. https://canadinaclimateaction.wordpress.com.
- Friedrich, B., Hoffmann, D., Renn, J., Schmaltz, F., Wolf, M. eds, 2017. “One Hundred Years of Chemical Warfare: Research, Deployment, Consequences.” Springer.
- Girding for Confrontation- the Pentagon’s Provocative Encirclement of China https://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/50732-girding-for-confrontation-the-pentagons-provocative-encirclement-of-china Michael T. Klare, TomDispatch 19 June 18
- Hopma, Justa. 2017. “Famine Isn’t Just a Result of Conflict—It’s a Cause.” Newsweek, January 25, 2017. www.newsweek.com/food-insecurity-conflict-sudan-famine-548033.
- Langille, H. Peter. 2016. Developing a United Nations Emergency Peace Service: Meeting Our Responsiblities to Prevent and Protect. New York: Palgrave MacMillan US.
- Lorincz, Tamara. 2014. “Demilitarization for Deep Decarbonization: Reducing Militarism and Military Expenditures to Invest in the UN Green Climate Fund and to Create Low-Carbon Economies and Resilient Communities.” International Peace Bureau. http://www.ipb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Green_Booklet_working_paper_17.09.2014.pdf.
- Lorincz, Tamara. 2018. “We Must Demilitarize to Decarbonize.” Space Alert!, no. 38 (January): 4. http://www.space4peace.org/newsletter/Space%20Alert%2036.pdf.
- Mekonnen, Meedan. 2016. “Drought, Famine, and Conflict: A Case from the Horn of Africa.” Beyond Intractibility. September 2016. https://www.beyondintractability.org/casestudy/mekonnen-drought.
- Meyer, Paul. 2018. “US space force risks undermining space security.” Jane’s Intelligence Review, forthcoming.
- Mirzayanov, Vil S. 2008. “State Secrets: An Insider’s Chronicle of the Russian Chemical Weapons Program.” Outskirts Press.
- Smallman-Raynor, M R and A D Cliff. 2004. War Epidemics: An Historical Geography of Infectious Diseases in Military Conflicts and Civil Strife 1850-2000. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Smith, Gar. 2017. “The Pentagon’s Carbon Bootprint.” Athena21.Org. February 22, 2017. https://www.athena21.org/in-english/187-the-pentagon-s-carbon-bootprint.
- Video: Why we Ignore Accurate Predictions about Imminent Disasters, Richard Clarke on BigThink.com, Oct. 27, 2017
- Wimmer, Felix. 2018. “European Nuclear Deterrence in the Era of Putin and Trump.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, January 11, 2018. https://www.athena21.org/in-english/206-european-nuclear-deterrence.
Each of the proposals above has its own page on the Project Save the World wiki. Our intention is that people will volunteer to use the wiki for an essay on how the proposal can be put into action, what changes may need to be introduced, and so on.
If you are interested in being a contributor, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 Papers and articles
Please contact the page administrator if you have research material (published or unpublished) which you wish to submit.