1 Platform for Survival items
15. WHO shall promote nations’ use of Incident Management System1“Incident Management System” is an approach to disaster management developed by firefighters. for early detection and response to pandemics.
16. UN shall adopt a ‘one health approach’ integrating veterinary and environmental science2Pandemics often result from contact between humans and animals, whereby a virus jumps from an animal to a person. This risk is increasing because people are cutting down forests and living closer to the animals they displace, and because global warming enables some animals and insects to move into formerly temperate zones. to mitigate pandemics.
- Brilliant, Larry. 2006. “My Wish: Help Me Stop Pandemics.” Video of lecture presented at the TEDTalks, Monterey, CA. https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_brilliant_wants_to_stop_pandemics.
- Ives, Mike, and Donald G. McNeil, Jr. 2017. “As Drug-Resistant Malaria Spreads, Experts Warn of Global Crisis.” New York Times, November 23, 2017. hhttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/world/asia/malaria-drug-resistant-vietnam.htmlttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/world/asia/malaria-drug-resistant-vietnam.html.
- Quick, Jonathan. 2018. “Are We Prepared for the Looming Epidemic Threat?” The Observer, March 18, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/18/end-epidemics-aids-ebola-sars-sunday-essay.
- Reardon, Sara. 2014. “The Rise of Antibiotic Resistance Rekindles Interest in a Century-Old Virus Treatment.” Nature, no. 510 (June): 15–16. https://doi.org/10.1038/510015a.
- Senthilingam, Meera. 2017. “Seven Reasons We’re at More Risk than Ever of a Global Pandemic.” News site. CNN | Health. April 10, 2017. https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/health/pandemic-risk-virus-bacteria/index.html.
- Smallman-Raynor, M R and A D Cliff. 2004. War Epidemics: An Historical Geography of Infectious Diseases in Military Conflicts and Civil Strife 1850-2000. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- St John, Ronald. 2016. Preventing Worldwide Epidemics, Ronald St John at TEDx Cincinnati, August 2016
- Washington Post. 2017. World leaders rehearse for a pandemic that will come ‘sooner than we expect’ , Washington Post, Oct. 28, 2017
Each of the proposals above has its own page on the Project Save the World wiki. Our intention is that people will volunteer to use the wiki for an essay on how the proposal can be put into action, what changes may need to be introduced, and so on.
If you are interested in being a contributor, contact us at email@example.com.
4 Papers and articles
Please contact the page administrator if you have research material (published or unpublished) which you wish to submit.