Our goal is to greatly reduce the risk of six global threats—
- War and Weapons
(especially nuclear) ►
- Global Warming ►
- Famine ►
- Pandemics ►
- Massive Radiation Exposure ►
- Cyber Attacks ►
Because these threats are causally inter-dependent, adequate solutions may not emerge incrementally through ordinary political adaptations, but may require a simultaneous, comprehensive systemic change. Such a sweeping transformation may be possible only after a global shock renders the urgency of our humankind’s predicament inescapable. But we can think ahead now to identify the systemic changes that may become possible only then.
Method: to increase public concern about the dangers, identify the most promising solutions, and require global institutions to make the necessary structural and economic changes. We foresee three phases.
- Phase I: Creation of a one-page list of 25 public policy changes that will either directly or indirectly reduce the risks. The indirect measures are the “Enabling Measures” — some changes that are requisites for enacting the direct measures. Phase I was completed on May 31 when a forum in Toronto adopted the “Platform for Survival” by consensus.
- Phase II is ongoing. It has two aspects:
- The elaboration through an open, democratic process of the rationale for the 25 planks of our platform. This is being performed by teams of researchers and writers who will collaborate online in writing wikis on each plank of the Platform for Survival, and suggest additional relevant measures.
- The creation of networks of experts on these six global threats who will hold videoconferences to address the inter-dependence of their various projects.
- Phase III begins in 2019 and will be a campaign to reach a much wider audience and mobilize public support for the Platform. Phase III may include future review conferences, which will have sole authority to revise the Platform for Survival.
New participants are welcome. Here are ways of joining Project Save the World:
- Read and sign the Platform for Survival. Click on its page icon. Please supply your email address, which only other members of Project Save the World can access.
- Read and watch videos about the threat(s) that interest you most. This website offers pages showing bibliographies and video discussions of the threats, the enabling measures, and (eventually) the intersections among the threats.
- Participate in a Zoom conference call discussion on the last Sunday of every month. Call in from your own webcam, tablet, or smartphone from 8 to 9 pm Eastern Time by entering the following link on your browser: https://zoom.us/j/9108970203. Make sure your microphone and video camera are not muted so we can all hear and see well.
- Discuss the six global threats, the Enabling Measures, and (eventually) the Intersections among the threats by reading, and writing to, the comments section on the pages dealing with these topics. Discussions are moderated.
- Join a wiki team. Each threat page will include a list of several “planks” — public policy proposals on the Platform for Survival. We need to write an article explaining each such plank, and are forming teams of about 4 or 5 writers to do so by jointly composing wikis.
Everyone who has been authorized to contribute to any one of the wikis is entitled to participate in formulating any of the other 24 wikis, though most writers will contribute to only one or two of them.